Tuesday, May 12, 2009

GIMMICKS WITH NO POWER


Am I the only church planter or church leader sick of gimmicks. Churches with so much gimmicks that there aren't any ministries going on. Lives are not changed and at the end of the day the gimmick church does not last. I see people giving out door prizes and cash as incentives to come to church. I see church planters put so much in to a start of the church a no work for the life of the church (more on that later) I see people preach weak sermons or sermons that don't deal with me or the world around me. Heaven is easy to preach. What is hard is telling me how to live on earth. We are doing everything possible just to draw a crowd. I have an idea lets juggle flaming poodles... yeah that will get them in. I know lets do a big event so the news can come and give us free publicity. How about every 3 months we come up with a new marketing plan? Wait I got it lets invite someone else that draws a crowd.

The sad thing is others see a few early successes and follow what they did. Then that gimmick becomes the model. Thus here we are today a church with Gimmicks and no Power!!!

As I plan for our upcoming church plant I often wonder when I see other ministries am I doing something wrong. Like my partner asked me when designing our flyers do I want my name on them? I said jokingly nobody knows me any way it would be a waste of ink. But every other church marketing thing I see has the pastor name, picture, and hobbies on it. lol. But you know what i mean. Preachers with head shots an stuff. I often wonder what are we promoting. The preacher or the community we serve. I am an okay preacher. I have good days and bad, like I'm sure many do. But I often struggle with exposure. I just want people who hear me to leave with a better understanding. Not to leave saying I am awesome but the one I represent is awesome.

Lord what have we done with your church?

1 comment:

  1. You are not alone. It's a sad scheme of the enemy. What 'resembles' the church, but isn't. I find comfort in knowing that God is sovereign. The enemy has nothing new. We knew this day was coming. Keep preaching a pure Word and don't believe the lie. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete